Friday, January 22, 2010

people watching is part of who I am.

I know this was an assignment but come to think of it, I constantly people watch. I have always found the millions of variations of human interaction as a fascination. College is a great example to see fresh adults truly express the person they will be the rest of their lives. Layers upon layers of different social classes exist in a dense environment. From the tennis players with a 4.0 to the "GEEK"s who cant wait to get their new piece of technology they ordered in the mail(myself), to the kids living in the dorms, and all the 21 year olds who make there way to the bars on Thursday night. Of course the obvious common theme is the fact that almost everybody wants to be recognized and live their life the way they want to live it with out boundaries or hinderance. The scariest thing about always studying how people interact for me is how much I question myself and reason why I cant interact the same as others. Certainly we must all have these feelings from time to time so I feel as though I am not talking to a small percentage of kids in the class.

I was once told social interaction is like a game of poker. You take a risk, making a "bet", and initiate a conversation or invitation to a social gathering with another person. The person can either "match/call" or "raise" you in the conversation. If there response is just a response with no initiative to keep the conversation going then they "call." An example would be "ok" or "yeah I can see that." If they show interest in the conversation and have good positive responses than they are "raising," thus keeping interaction going.

I really had a hard time grasping this thought of how I should act around people until I was visually explained in this method back in Middle School. One thing I have always hated is they way people look down on other people for being fat, or ugly, or dumb, or even another sex, or race before even meeting the person. Logically we all need to have a conscious and remember they have the same blood as you, the same organs and the same brain. I know America is land of the free and our core value continues to be greed. Don't misunderstand this, I am extremely patriotic but looking at how out of control our society and government is these days is upsetting. This all came from sitting in the sub watching kids interact and a few others sitting alone with a face of utter depression. I think I might go introduce myself now..

No comments:

Post a Comment